Eyelashes (EN, noun): the symbol of femininity, romance and glamour. See also: bane of my existence.
Hello. My name is Apryl, and I have a love/hate relationship with my eyelashes.
Now, I’m not a licensed cosmetologist, but my thirty-something years of existence have taught me a thing or two about contouring and how to find a great red lipstick. But no matter how flawless my skin looks on any particular day, even if my winged eyeliner is sharp enough to stab my husband, I could never solve the problem of my pathetic little eyelashes: my awful, sparse, short, barely there, horrible little bastard eyelashes.
I can’t tell you how many hours I have spent wandering around in drugstores, staring at the one billion different types and brands of mascara available, overwhelmed and not exactly sure what my eyelash problem actually is… Do I require “volumizing” mascara? “Lengthening”? “Curling?” “Waterproof”? “Bulletproof”? “Gluten-free”? Should I try to apply lash strips every day? And can anyone please tell me how a little tube of mascara, which expires after a couple of days, is worth 30 Euro?
Mascara is not my friend
Let’s breakdown my problems with mascara:
1. I’m a mom. This means 10 to 30 euros on make-up is too much. Whatever I buy will inevitably be used to paint a post-impressionist masterwork on my kids’ bedroom wall or rubbed in the carpet just because.
2. When I wear mascara, I wear it for three days straight. Even if I have tried to remove it, I cannot escape the ”3-day residual eyeliner” look every time.
3. I’m never satisfied with the end result. There are so many brands and new products that I never know what I actually need. When it comes to eyelashes’ strips or falsies, they are never even and end up peeling up at the corners before the night is done.
Guys, I need help. Professional eyelash help.
How I solved my eyelash issue
Two weeks ago, I met a gal in our LMBB community called Dominique. She’s the owner of Lashes by Domnique in Ottobrunn. In desperation, I hit her up for some information, which I’m now going to share with you.
Dominique is an eyelash extension artist, and a highly-renowned instructor in the eyelash extension trade. She’s one of the most sought-out eyelash professionals in the region – eyelash artists come from all over Munich to learn her technique and clients travel from all over Bavaria and even from Austria to buy her services.
Personally, I had heard about eyelash extensions before but was wary. “Permanent makeup” always seemed so… permanent. No one knows eyelashes like Dominique, so I put myself in her hands, hoping she could solve my eyelash woes. Here’s what I learned:
1. Eyelash extensions can instantly provide a totally dramatic transformation. That’s me in the picture (and yes, I have noticed that I have one eye which is freakishly larger than the other. Let’s hope it was just the camera angle).
2. The application process was like a mini-spa treatment. We had a macchiato and a chat before she got to work, then I nearly fell asleep on the table – you have to keep your eyes closed the entire time, which is my excuse.
3. Dominique knew everything about the eyelash extension process. She gave me a fact sheet in English so that I would be able to care for and extend the “life” of my lashes. She will let me use it during my occasional beauty workshops. What a treat!
4. Extensions do not damage your eyelashes like I assumed they would – when done by a properly qualified lash artist that is!
5. The lashes can be designed and personalized to whatever style or angle you desire. I asked Dominique to choose what she thought would best fit my face. She suggested a cat’s eye shape with a strong curl. I didn’t know what to expect, but after seeing them, I’m in love.
Here is my photo taken one week after my first application, with good lighting and absolutely no enhancement (not even mascara!):
I have become a grade A lash-believer.
The end result
These are selfie-ready eyelashes, 24/7. I adore how gorgeous they are and how feminine they make me feel. I love that I can sleep in in the morning and roll out of bed and look wide awake. I’ve never felt so confident regarding my eyes – I literally walk out of my apartment with no makeup on, but still genuinely like the way my eyes look without eyeliner and mascara.
After I had the extensions put in, my husband came home late that night and said, “Wow, you look great, did you try something new?” totally not realizing that it was my eyelashes. He also told me how beautiful my eyes were, which he hasn’t said since we were dating. I got great feedback from my husband, which was a huge relief because they obviously looked more natural than I thought.
The only downside is that you have to be really careful when washing your face and taking a shower, because proper care is how you get them to last longer and stay nice and full until your next refill appointment. However, I’ve now had my lashes for about two weeks, and they look exactly like when they were first applied. I’ve only lost one lash (that I have witnessed) in the shower.
After seeing the end result, I recommend this service 100%. To be honest, at the beginning I was turned off by its higher-than-mascara-price, but now I feel differently because I see how good it makes me feel. Thank you Dominique for showing me the power of eyelash extensions!
Want to learn more or book your own eyelash treatment? Contact Dominique on her Facebook page.
Apryl Rayne, founder of Little Munich Black Book, has been living in Bavaria since 2013. She enjoys mom-dating, writing, networking, and exploring little-known corners of Munich side streets. When she’s not at home with her two kids or hanging around in LMBB, you can find her perusing the city looking for great coffee, english-speaking people and new trending topics.
Illustration credit: Yolanda Ng is a cross creative who is a professional fashion designer, stylist, street style blogger for VON ZWEI and a photographer at Corner Store Photography. She is also the Creative and Marketing Director for LMBB.